Nanny Defamation


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm an ER addict. Never mind that the show has been around since I learned to read. It's an oldie but a goodie and every Thursday night, without fail, I loyally sit and watch in amazement as my fantasty doctor lover (Goran Visnjic) and his fellow doctors slice people up and manage to look insanely sexy though covered in guts and blood. Tonight was no different, despite the fact that my mother and I are in the middle of Pennsylvania on our way back to the west coast. Now, recently, my favorite character, Abby (portrayed by the lovely and talented Maura Tierney) gave birth to a baby boy. Because it's ER and all, the birth was predictably, very dramatic but they didn't kill the tyke off like they did Carter's baby so woo hoo for that! My insane and occasionally unhealthy love for newborns went into overdrive and for the past three weeks I've been looking forward to seeing cute little baby Joe on my screen. (Especially since it's been nearly a year since Buddha was that age and baby fever has hit me hard this year.) So color me a little suprised when Abby mentioned to her hunkalicious slice of Croatian meat, aka Luka the baby daddy, that she's interested in hiring a nanny. I instantly raised my hand and demanded to turn in my resume. After all, I was recently fired by the bitch from hell, aka, Baroness Bomburst, so I'm pretty much free to nanny any fictional, newborn children of my favorite television characters. Anyway, later in the ep after a rather disastrous mommy and me class Abby met up with a group of nannies at the park! Hooray! Yay for nannies! I felt very much like the ER writers were sending me a personal shout-out. Except not. Right from the get-go one of the girls shared her fear that she might be pregnant with her boss's child to which another nanny informed her that "the only father who doesn't want to bang his nanny is already doing it" or something along those lines. Uh oh. When asked if she's a nanny, Abby replied yes and was then privvy to lots of juicy nanny gossip, involving how the girls use their bosses' homes and cars and clothes etc etc and overall how they pretty much abuse their positions as caretakers. I was floored, and though I know the scene was supposed to be humorous, I felt a little offended. I have never stolen anything from my families. I have never used their clothes or cars or homes without their permission and I have never slept with any of the fathers or tried to. (Nevermind my intense crush for Big Bad Lawyer Daddy.) Not suprisingly, at the end of her day when her insanely sumptuous Croatian Sensation offered to rethink the nanny prospects, Abby declined, insistent that they could do it just the two of them. Oy. Glad she's confident in her parenting skills and all but this nanny hate has got to go. I think there are more mature, responsible, loving nannies out there than the other sort and I'm a bit disillusioned that the portrayal of us on the show (my favorite show!) was so negative. I know that nannying has gotten quite a bit of press lately but have there been any good recent representations in the media of the dynamic between a nanny and a family? I'm curious, because I'd definitely like to see some.


3 Responses to “Nanny Defamation”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nanny defamation seems to be a popular sport. I see all manner of defensive/hostile references to nannies in the ether. Me, I think it's engendered by guilt. A parent feels guilty leaving their child, worries that the nanny will replace them in their child's affections. The guilt and anxiety and the feeling of being threatened turns into hostility and suspicion of the nanny.

    You know what? You mistrust nannies as much as all that? You should stay home with your child. If you intend to keep your job/career and your nanny, then develop a good working partnership of mutual respect, and everyone benefits.

  2. Blogger Mary P. 

    Hmm... FYI, in case you didn't already know: Your initial screen is making everyone anonymous. Once the comment is posted, you get the standard Blogger comment page, and it accepts the name, link, and photo.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    positive portrayal of nannies doesn't sell. ages ago, some talk show was wanting nannies to call in for a future show. i called in, wondering what they would want to focus on. all they wanted to know was the dirt and the bad stuff. when i refused to discuss it and said i'd rather they show the good stuff, they quickly ended the conversation and said they'd keep me in mind if they ever did a show like that.

    no one wants happy joy stories (except for us actually in the field, it seems). the negative scandal sells. sad, huh? we bust our humps and as soon as we do the smallest thing wrong, that gets tossed in the spotlight. hmph.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • Profile of a Mommy for Hire
  • Previous posts

    Archives

    Cool Links